Sunday, May 20, 2012

Aha Moment

Can I just say I hate my calling?  I don't think a certain parent reads my blog so I'm going to write about it here.  I actually don't even think we're friends on facebook.  There is a kid in my primary that is just difficult.  This child (I'm being gender neutral) acts like a spoiled only kid to the extreme.  It absolutely ruins primary for me!  It is hard to talk about Jesus when a little one still struggles being reverent.  There is no disability, ADHD, or anything, just a little kid demanding to have all and constant attention.

Today I had an aha moment.  We were playing pictionary and a student said something and everyone laughed.  Immediately this kid made a comment trying to be funny, but no one laughed.  Do you see?  I knew he was attention seeking, but he has to have the attention.  The behavior came because someone else took it away.  Oh, now I can do an antecedent, behavior, consequence on this little one when my co-teacher teaches and figure out how often it happens and the times between incidences.  This will tell me how to change the behavior.  Awesomeness.

I never did work with attention seeking behavior; my kids at school were all avoidant.  But I'm excited (and not telling the parents!) to see what I can do.  Love data.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

My a-ha moment is that it's a boy! (You slipped and said "his parents" at the end. ;)

Sorry the calling is hard. Mine is too. And sadly, in my ward, where 14 women (that I know of) are currently pregnant, having a baby doesn't get you out of your calling. :)

Sandia Sunset

Sandia Sunset
Our mountains are beautiful in the evenings. We took this picture from our backyard.